Friday, August 24, 2007
CHURCH RETREAT: ONE MODEL
11 AM INTRODUCTIONS
PERSONAL REFLECTION ON JOHN 4: 1-42:
1. What’s unique about Jesus in this story? Can you imagine Jesus having
a need about which he asks your help?
2. Imagine you’re talking with Jesus – just the two of you – what would
you say to him? What would you expect him to say to you about you?
3. If he offered you ‘the water of life’ how would you understand that?
What are your greatest ‘needs’ at the moment (you can jot items under
headings like self-esteem, fear, guilt, grief, anxiety, anger, finance,
relationships etc. - for your eyes only)
4. If you could ask Jesus’ help in some aspect of your life, what would
your request/s look like?
5. And going back to your ‘village’/home/school/work/friends: what’s the
good news you’d be telling them? How do people/communities become
12.30 PM LUNCH
1.20 PM: OUR STORIES OF FAITH/HOPE/LOVE – where we briefly share with
the group anything we feel is helpful/honest/relevant from our morning’s
reflection on the story in John 4. As others pray for you, what would
you like them to pray about?
3 PM: BREAK
3.20 PM: THE CHURCH: ‘LOVED BY CHRIST EVEN THOUGH WE’RE NOT YET FULLY
REDEEMED’. A brief case-study of the Church in Antioch (Acts 11: 19-30;
13:1-3). Discussion: What features of this ancient church might
encourage our life together? What does your church ‘mean’ for you? What
does a healthy church look like?
4.45 PM - BACK INTO THE WORLD
FACILITATOR: (Rev. Dr.) Rowland Croucher , John Mark Ministries